Friday, November 16, 2007

The Victory is NOT the White Swan

We've arrived In Guangzhou at the Victory hotel. It cannot hold a candle to the White Swan. The first suite they put us in was small and very tired looking. Definitely NOT big enough for the 6 of us! So....down to the front desk I went to inquire about a bigger room. We were given a bigger suite but not much bigger. We are struggling to fit everything into the room as well as ourselves. It is going to be a CHALLENGE for the next couple of days.
The buffet is not even in the competition with the White Swan. Getting to the White Swan in the past has always been a breathe of fresh air. Here at the Victory I feel like we've taken a step backward. I think we might be able to tough it out until Tuesday.
Grace is sick this morning. She has a temperature and a headache. Hopefully this is just minor, something our meds can take care of. We've been giving her breathing treatments regularly so I don't think it has anything to do with her asthma. I, on the other hand, am feeling a bit better. I was able to eat a small breakfast but still do have a headache.
Since yesterday I've been struggling to find some fresh air...there just isn't any here in China. That is part of the reason I am feeling so bad, I just feel like I can't get a breathe of fresh air; no wonder Grace is feeling so awful.
We are off to the medical appointment this morning. I'll tell you I'll be glad to get this all over with and move on.
Our flight from Fuzhou to Guangzhou went very well, the worst part was that we had to sit in the airport for several hours waiting. The kids did well even though it was quite a task staying occupied.
Matthew had a time on the plane. He was very excited about flying and kept asking when we would board the plane. However, once we got on the plane he did not want to stay in his seat, keep his seat belt on or follow any of the rules. It was frustrating for Dave who had to eventually swat Matthew to get him to listen. Matthew cried and whined the last part of the flight but eventually got over it.
Right now he is playing with a yo-yo I've never seen. I wonder where he got it from??? I've been through his entire backpack and this not something he had in Fuzhou. I will have to get our guide to ask him where he got it. Did he take it from someone? Pick it up at the airport? Sigh...I'm getting tired.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sorry you are sick, Tina and Grace, and experiencing some other disappointments as well. We all know how miserable it is to be ill; I cannot imagine feeling that way in China! This sounds like a challenging part of your journey/trip and I am hopeful it will only improve. Keep your positive attitudes, despite the difficulties! I can't wait to hear about Disneyland. Matthew must think his new life is a big party, after his years at the orphanage. I think Disneyland will be the ultimate in excitement for his life so far, even though he is not familiar with Disney and all the characters. Richard and I laugh (now) when we reminise about being in Disney World when Elizabeth and Mara were at the ages from 2 to 4 years old. Talk about excitement overload and not enough sleep! I would not trade those memories for anything. Enjoy the ages of your children; they grow up much too fast! You remain in your prayers. Love, Margie, Richard, Elizabeth and Mara

Anonymous said...

Your little boy is precious. I hope you have a better time on the rest of your trip... you sound frustrated at times. I actually was told by about 8 different famlies that they loved the Victory compared to the White Swan (bigger rooms). I was planning on staying there instead of the White Swan.
Gosh, your little boy has been through so many changes. I am sure it is a big adjustment for him as well.
I hope you have a good rest of your trip. Like the last poster said, I bet Disney to him will be like winning the lottery. This is once in a life time, enjoy it. They grow up so fast.
Take care,
Heidi

Lynn Cameron said...

Hello Evanses-
So sorry to hear that things continue to be challenging- home is going to feel so great!
I'm one of those people who prefers the Victory to the White Swan- twice I've stayed in great suites on the 6th or 7th floor, but I really love the Annex best.
Can't wait to hear how Disney goes- Matthew probably already feels like he's there! Know that you are in our thoughts. Malone sends a BIG hello to Matthew!
Lynn and Wang Demin

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! Glad you made it to the Victory! I'm VERY surprised, with the amount of folks you have traveling with you that they did not give you a BUSINESS SUITE or the Garden suite! You might ask about that. I know one of those suites has a HUGE bedroom, a HUGE living room and enough space to last you til you get home.

They tried to put the 4 of us in a double bed room and we said NO WAY! There was no room for our luggage! Breakfast wasn't bad there either. *hmmm* We have been to the WS, and the China Hotel, but sure didn't want to pay those prices again.

Hopefully you will just sleep in your room and be shopping/eating out the rest of the time. :o)

Kristen