Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Celebrating Liz's Success!

Bragging Rights!
Liz, Mara, Sarah, Grace, Analiese and Matthew
Grandmom, Moms and Daughters
Granddad Matt and the Grandkids
Swimming, Anyone?
The Graduate, Liz
Uncle Tony, Mara, Sarah, Analiese and Grace
Me and my "baby" brother, Tony
Grandmom Eileen and Sarah
Dave and my Dad (Matt)

What fun we had visiting our family in Michigan! My niece, Liz, graduated from High School in May and we were able to drive up and attend her graduation party. What a blast it was!

Liz is my older sister's daughter. She was the first grandchild and the first to graduate. Come to think of it she has been the first for so many things--the trailblazer! Liz is a talented singer, actor, dancer, student and all around wonderful young lady. She has the most perfect voice and I cry every time I hear her sing. She was a member of her High School's drama club and participated in 8 different plays. The latest one was "Fame" in which she had the lead!

Liz also graduated with honors, I believe a 3.70 GPA. She is beautiful, responsible and all around wonderful. She is headed out into the world and will someday make her mark. I am so proud of her!!!

Liz is headed to Michigan State University next month. I am so excited for her. I remember going away to college and having some of the best times of my life!

We stayed at my sister's house and the kids just loved, "Aunt Margie"! I can only venture to guess why---could it be that she spoiled them? The pool and hot tub in the backyard helped, as did the ping pong table, and not to mention the wonderful party that was held in Liz's honor (with all of the candy and junk you could eat).

And it wasn't just "Aunt Margie" they loved. Sarah spent so much time with her older cousin Mara (Liz's sister). They share a love of dance and Mara is extremely talented (yes, both sisters!). Now that Sarah is 10 she feels almost as an equal to Mara, who is now 13. The best part is that Mara embraced Sarah and made her feel special. Of course, Granddad Matt and Grandmom Eileen doted on the kids as did Uncle Tony, who is still a kid himself!

I must share a funny Matthew story. For the party my sister labelled everything, from the food, to the bathrooms. Well the day of the party Matthew kept asking everyone how to spell the pet birds names. Once Margie told him how to spell their names (Cleo and Hillberry) Matthew asked her for a "stick". Fearing he was going to poke the birds, Margie asked, "a stick, what for?". Matthew then showed my sister his paper. He had written the birds names on them and on a separate paper he had drawn a picture of 2 birds. What he wanted to do was put the paper on the bird cage to "label" them. What he really wanted was a piece of tape! It was so cute (I wish I had taken a picture) to see the bird cage with the labels attached!

I always enjoy my time visiting my family. I hate that we live so far away. I miss out on so much, as do they with my children. It's so funny because growing up my sister and I argued, fought and swore that we would never like each other. When people would tell us that one day we would be best friends I could not imagine voluntarily spending time with her! Of course it all came true. I not only wish we could spend more time together, I wish that we lived closer!

The worst part was the drive to and from Michigan. The kids really did a great job. But, sitting in the car for over 700 miles is no fun for anyone, let alone a five year old who has a hard time sitting in one spot for 5 minutes. It was a hard trip but worth it.

No comments: