Friday, June 27, 2008

Fainting...again!



Well, I've been involved in ANOTHER fainting episode! Some of you may recall, last year at the dance studio, I helped with a woman who fainted. She fractured her skull and has had lingering health issues related and unrelated to the fainting.

So, tonight we are out with the kids at a pizza buffet, after Grace's performance for her summer camp. Dave suddenly jumped up and screamed, "Oh my God"! I jumped to look, expecting to see one of our children. But, it wasn't one of our children. Dave was already out of his chair and over to a woman who had passed out. By the time I arrived I heard the woman say she was OK, But physically she was NOT!. Dave allowed her to walk away. DOWN she went. Thank goodness she did not hit her head. It was like she suddenly lost control of her bones; she just crumpled.

By this time our kids were mesmorized. I immediately asked the woman, who was as confused as anyone I've ever seen, "are you diabetic?", "Do you have a heart condition?". She was not only confused she was sweating and she was clamy. Her husband and her son had no idea what to do. Neither did the restaurant staff for that matter. Dave had to instruct them to call 911 and I had to insist on a cold rag with ice.

This poor woman kept insisting she had to go to the bathroom. Her husband took her after she requested I accompany her. There was NO WAY I could do that. The poor woman could not walk and I could not support her weight! So, into the bathroom they went. We waited for the ambulance, the woman continued to be cold an calmy and because she had free choice, she chose to NOT go to the hospital when the EMS arrived. Instead, she hobbled out of the restaurant with her husband and son supporting her.

When we were waiting for the ambulance she said to me, "I wish you had not called 911." I told her that the embarrassment was temporary but the health issue could be forever. It didn't seem to matter. The EMS guys thanked me but sadly informed me that she chose to go home.

I sure hope this woman gets past her emotions and sees her doctor. It just isn't right for a 51 year old woman to pass out, not remember it and sweat and feel cold. SOMETHING is going on!

Somehow I feel the Lord is preparing me for something. It was so amazing that NO-ONE else in the restaurant rushed in to help this woman. That was the scariest thing... On the way home Sarah asked so many questions and I so tried to teach her that the most important thing was to stay calm.

Sarah said to me, "Mom, I heard you ask if she was diabetic or if she had any health issues"
Then Sarah said, "I heard you tell her how important it was to relax until the ambulance got there, I saw her husband and he had tears in his eyes. He didn't know what to do."

I am SO glad that my actions are speaking so much louder than my words. Thank you Jesus for giving me the courage to not panic. My children have learned how important it is to help others and to keep a calm, cool head. I sure hope that I can make emergencies less frightening to them!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Way to go Mom! You are such a caring and wonderful woman. Keep up the good work. Sounds a bit scary.