Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sick....AGAIN!!!




We spent the morning at the pediatrician's office. Grace woke up Monday morning with pink eye. Dave, not realizing, just put some visine into her eyes. When he woke me up and told me, I pulled out the pink eye drops and started using them immediately. On Tuesday, after not only seeing no improvement, but a rash on Gracie's face, I decided to get her to the doctor.

So, this AM off we went (yes, Mom and ALL four children!). We did not see our regular pediatrician but another in the practice. He is a chinese man with the patience of Job. He looked at Grace, immediately confirmed pink eye, but indicated that infection was out of control and he would need to give a stronger drop as well as oral antibiotics. The rash on her face was another story. He didn't feel it was related to the pink eye. So...I lift up Sarah's shirt and show him the rash that Sarah has had for a month (that I thought was chicken pox, but the PA said it was just a "virus").

Well Dr. Luk took one look at the rash and immediately looked into Sarah's mouth and announced that the rash she had was "Guttate Psorasis" which flares up with strep throat. A look into Sarah's mouth showed a VERY red and inflamed throat (with no pain says Sarah) and a quick swab confirmed the diagnosis!

So, the rash that Sarah has had for a month was caused by untreated strep! I am so frustrated because in my heart and in my gut I've never trusted PA's with diagnosing ANYTHING! Oh, I think they are good if you have something common that you just need medicine for. But for the "what the HECK is this" they are useless.

I feel horrible, I feel terrible that I've let Sarah be SICK for an entire month! Today we started on the oral antibiotics and a steroid topical creme to help the rash. Hopefully we will see a HUGE improvement in a couple of days.

So, for now, no pool, no activities because the girls are sick. I took out the blow-up pool this afternoon so Analiese and Matthew could swim. Hopefully tomorrow we can get to the big pool. We are out of school, now isn't the time to be SICK!

1 comment:

Donna said...

Sorry to hear she has been sick for so long. How weird is it that Dr. G. Luk is my kids' pediatrician too?!?! He is from Hong Kong and a great "no frills" doctor that I just love. We have been seeing him for about 7 years now. Glad Dr. Luk is fixing her up now!