Tuesday, June 10, 2008

AHA, my lightbulb moment!



I took the kids to a movie today, Evan Almighty, and never expected to get the insight that I did! Boy does God use any vehicle that he can. I'm forever praying for "patience" in dealing with the children, especially Matthew. There are days when I just feel like I'm a terrible Mom because I do more correcting than complimenting and then I wonder WHY God has not answered my prayers for more patience.

In the movie, "God" (Morgan Freeman) asks the wife if she believes that when someone prays for patience that God gives them patience? God's answer? "No, I give them more experiences to help them learn patience."

Well, there you have it! All of my prayers for patience have certainly been answered! I've been given lots and lots of experiences in which my patience has been tested. I just haven't realized that these experiences have been the answer to my prayers! I mean I realized that Analiese was sent to me to help me stop being so judgemental of other parents. You know, "how could they let that child wear that?", "can they not control that child?", "haven't they taught that child any manners?" Before Analiese I used all of those statements and MEANT each one! Now that I have a "free-thinker, out-of-the box" child of my own I very RARELY comment on anyone else's parenting abilities!

Somehow I just missed the purpose of all of the "patience trying" experiences that I've had since Matthew has joined our family. The more I prayed for patience the more situations I found myself in. One of my beliefs is that God drops little pebbles on you to get your attention. When you don't "get" the message the pebbles become rocks and then the rocks become boulders. I think I got my boulder today!

No comments: