Thursday, March 11, 2010

Neither the time nor the place

Today we found out that one of our colleagues was killed in a car accident. It was quick we were told. She probably had a heart attack and was dead before she hit the concrete wall.

I know that was supposed to ease the pain, make us feel better that she did not suffer. But guess what? This woman had submitted her paperwork for retirement in June. She was finally going to take some time for herself.

Since I was new to this school, I didn't know this teacher very well. What I did know is that she taught those kids who were considered "slow learners". You know, those kids who didn't qualify for special education but whose IQ was low, and lots of them had little to no experiences in life. She loved those kids and worked so hard to give them what they needed.

The children had already gone home when we found out about her death. The teachers will spend their furlough day calling parents so they can break the news to their children.

Yes, a day without pay, but not a day without work, Why? Because caring about children doesn't take a break. Teachers become teachers because of their desire to make a difference, not for the money (there isn't any to be made).

We will try our best to help the students understand that Mrs. H will not be back, and they will not see her again. It will will be hard but we will find the words. The hardest? The kids who only hear encouragement and kind words at school from Mrs. H. The kids who look forward to her hugs and kind words. What do we say to them? How do we help them process this loss?

I know that I am struggling with this death. This woman was set to retire in less than 3 months. She has been working so hard this past year to help her students so they can pass the state mandated tests and she'll never get to see those results.

We don't know when life is over. Today I made sure to tell my father that I loved him, to hug my girls just a little harder, to enjoy those potato chips and to realize that tomorrow is not a promise.

MH you will be missed and you have made an impact both in life and in death. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Touching post, I am sure she will be greatly missed :(