Thursday, January 3, 2008

WOW! What a BIG tooth you have!



Analiese had her dental procedure today to remove the stent that the dentist put in after her palate repair. All went well and when the dentist, Dr. Thomas, came to talk to me he handed me a cute little treasure box. He informed me that Analiese "lost a tooth"! Because the stent was "cemented" to her teeth it took some work to get it off and lo and behold one of her teeth came with it! Dr. Thomas said that a "few others" are also loose and will be coming out "real soon".
Well, I looked in that cute little box expecting a cute little tooth. That's not what I found. I found a VERY long tooth with the root still attached! It's the funniest "baby" tooth I've ever seen.
Needless to say Analiese is thrilled that she'll get her first visit from the tooth fairy this evening. Sarah helped write a letter asking the tooth fairy to please leave the tooth so it can be put into Analiese's first tooth box. We'll see if it's still there in the morning.
Dr. Thomas said in the OR he only saw one small area of concern regarding Analiese's palate. He also said that some of the stitches were still in place from the surgery. He thought that it was touch and go with the small area. Unfortunately Analiese's stomach got very upset from all of the medication and vomited at the hospital, on the way home and at also at home. It looks, to me, that with the force of the vomiting she broke through the stitches and opened the palate. I called Dr. Thomas and he said that it might just look that way but I've seen the small hole before and it looks JUST like it! On Friday we return to the surgeon and the dentist....hopefully the news won't be so disappointing.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Oh how I hope you get good news. She has been through so much and she deserves a good report. I hope to get to meet Matthew tomorrow at FF!

Special K said...

I hope that Analiese's palate heals and that not too much damage was done. Thinking of you all....