Thursday, January 17, 2008

Our first snowfall!





Yes, it snowed in Georgia! It was our first for the year, first for the winter, first for Analiese since she has been home and the first EVER for Matthew! So, even though it was only a dusting that didn't last very long it was a MOMENTOUS snow for the Evans family!
For days we've been praying and doing the snow dance for some snow that would hopefully be enough to close school down for the day. Well the snow came (and then went by morning) but boy was it fun! When the flakes began to fall we were eating dinner and suddenly Sarah yelled, "it's snowing!". Sure enough the storm had begun. By the time dinner was over we had lots and lots of big flakes. The kids went outside, Sarah in her jammies, to play! They ran, yelled, laughed and tried to catch the flakes on their tongue!
Just an hour or so after the snow began it really started to accumulate on the ground, but not the roads. I knew that the weather called for the snow to turn to rain by morning, so I let the kids go out on the deck and play. Matthew went out without shoes, socks or slippers. He just wanted to FEEL the snow! He was so happy! When Sarah threw a snowball at him, he looked to me to see what I was going to do...I told him to throw one back. And the fight began!!!
The kids played for a bit and then came in because they were so cold. I cannot describe the excitement in our house as Matthew told me, "Mommy, no snow in Xiamen." How wonderful an experience for all of us--sharing in Matthew's first ever snowfall!
There are so many challenges with adopting an older child but one of the best benefits is that they can tell you about their lives before they came home. Now that Matthew has some english language skills we communicate so much more. He is doing so well at school (and continues to do well at home). We give him "money" everyday he is a "good boy". When he asked me the other day for "ten monies" I told him that he had to talk and participate at school to get "10 monies". Well, sure enough, that little boy has LOTS to say during ESOL class! The best part for Mom is that he was happy with the 10 pennies I gave him rather than the quarter he got the day before. I sure am going to take advantage of this because before I know it he will realize that 10 cents is nowhere near as good as 25!
Today at school he learned lots of new words. Not only how to say them but spell them too! When his teacher put out pictures of a dog, a car, a bat, a rat, a hat and a cap she had Matthew repeat the words--twice. Then she put out letters for individual words and had him recreate them, one at a time! Then she increased the complexity by mixing up the letters for all of the words. Well, Matthew did not spell all of them correctly but he consistently got all of the vowels right! I'll tell you, this sweet boy is making progress so quickly!
We continue to work with him at home. Of course he talks up a storm at home and feels safe in making mistakes. I know it won't be long before he is speaking as much at school.
The other night, as I was tucking Matthew into bed, I asked him if he missed Xiamen (he understands if I say Xiamen but not China) and I pantomimed crying, he said no and vigorously shook his head. I then asked if he was happy here. His face broke into a big smile and he said yes, I love you Mommy! And I can say, from my heart, I love you, too, Matthew!

1 comment:

Donna said...

So much fun to experience these firsts with our children. Sounds like Matthew is making amazing progress to have only been with his family for 2 short months! So nice to hear those sweet words coming from someone you love :)