Thursday, August 9, 2007

Boys, Girls, Babies and Moms

We do get bits of information about our son periodically.  We are like thirsty hikers greedily taking in every syllable.  Today we heard that he was busy "bossing around" a jie-jie (lilttle sister) to get her to move their toy (car) faster!  What joy to know that he is very social and that he can take charge!  He is going to fit right into the Evans clan.  
Matthew is going to need all of his skills to make his way around the extremely vocal Sarah and Analiese.  Grace, on the other hand, will get her way by being sweet and sensitive---who knows how big brother will react to that!
We also were told that Matthew knows we are coming soon.  I so wish it was sooner rather than later.  LOA's have been received for those families with Log in Dates up through the middle of May.  There is a chance that we could receive ours this month!  We are still hoping for September travel but we are prepared for late October.  We haven't even begun on the bedrooms (though the hardwoods have been put into the new office!).  So we can begin the next project....Dave???
The girls are doing fantastic going to bed early (OK Sarah and Grace are doing great, Analiese is STILL up and down at least a dozen times before she falls asleep) and waking up has been smooth.  We are out of the house by 7 AM and at school by 7:15!  Analiese hasn't cried anymore; she loves her class and teacher.  She is SO very smart, it takes very few repetitions for her to learn something.  She is singing songs, dancing and trying so very hard to tie her shoes!  She knows how to spell her full name---you should see her log into the Webkinz site!
Grace has charmed her new teacher with her sweet disposition.  She has a ready smile and a positive attitude everyday--a teacher's dream student! Grace is just so darn shy and would play by herself rather than try to join into a group or ask someone to play.  I've made it a goal for Grace (and have asked her teacher to help with the encouragement) for her to ask someone to play everyday.  She has readily accepted that challenge!  She has told me that sometimes she just likes to play by herself.  That is something I need to pay attention to and make sure that I don't always assume that Grace is lonely!
Sarah, once again, is thriving!  She has really made a big change these past couple of weeks.  She seems to have turned a corner and become so much more responsible and less likely to argue with me (now with Dave that is another story--they are so much alike!).  I see signs of puberty starting and just, for the life of me, cannot believe this is happening so early!  Sarah, on the other hand, is thrilled that her body is changing!  Dave is so out of his element that when Sarah asked him the other day, in WalMart no less, how people "french kiss" that Dave just yelled at her that it was inappropriate to ask him those questions in the grocery story!  Way-to-go Dad!  He admits that he had no idea what to say!
On that subject, of uncomfortable questions, Grace asked me how babies get into Mommies tummies.  Well I told her the same thing I've been telling Sarah for years: that when you get married and love someone a baby can grow in your tummy---remember the rule--give the least amount of information and if they ask for me then give them more.  Well, Sarah has NEVER asked for more information.  Grace, well she just wasn't satisfied with that.  She wanted to know how the baby gets in there. I told her that "Daddy helps put the baby in there."  Her response, "Oh with a seed?"  
Alittle taken aback, I just answered "yes". Grace then proceeded to tell me that she didn't want babies in her belly but wanted to go to China to get her babies!!!  She also asked why I had gone to China for my babies and I told her that it was where she and Analiese were!
 Thank goodness she asked no more questions.   But, we were not done yet.  Analiese, the light bulb shining brightly, asked, "Do ALL babies grown in Mommies tummies?"  When I told her yes, that she and Grace grew in a chinese mommy's tummy she grew very serious and asked where that Mommy was.  As gently and as matter-of-fact as I could be I answered her that Mommy was in China.  Grace then piped in and told her that the Chinese Mommy couldn't keep them cause maybe she didn't have enough money. 
 Analiese just couldn't bear this and buried her head into the crook of my arm and snuggled in.  I reassured her that I was never going to do that because I was her forever mommy and that the chinese mommies grew the girls in their tummies for me!   This is so much earlier than I imagined the girls would be asking questions I was really caught off guard. 
This whole interaction only lasted about 10 minutes and we quickly got back to playing "beauty salon" with the giggles, laughs, make-up and lotion!  
I so hope that I'm handling this in the best way.......

3 comments:

Tony said...

If I remember correctly, I was the last kid in my class who could tie their shoe. We had cardboard paper shoe cutouts with yarn for shoestrings... As for playing by ourselves, Sarah and I both recall being quite comfortable playing with toys by ourselves and that we preferred it that way sometimes.

As for Sarah Evans (shakes head), I don't envy you guys. How do you accept your beautiful LITTLE girl growing up WAY too soon?

We miss you guys and love reading the blog.

Donna said...

Sounds like you definately have your hands (and heart) full at home with those girls! You are a great mom and doing a wonderful job handling all these difficult questions. There is just so much that we take on as moms to these beautiful children from China. We can only do the best we can-and is sounds like you are doing just that :) Thank you for being such a great mentor for me.

Mary K said...

Whether true or not, I feel a bit like Matthew's Godmother. It was so great to read your news and to learn that he will soon be here with a wonderful, loving family who can provide opportunities he could never have had in China. What a fortunate young man and what a fortunate family. May God continue to bless you as you have been a blessing in this special child's life.

In Him,

Mary K Richter
Executive Director
National Foundation for Ectodermal Dysplasias.