Wednesday, July 25, 2007

VISA's

Since the price of the visa's for China are set to increase on Aug 1, we made the decision to apply for ours prior to that date.  The only problem?  Sarah and Analiese's passports had not arrived as of this past Monday.  
Dave and I made the decision to send off our passports, as well as Grace's, for the visa's and pay the extra fee for the other two.  So, I filled out the visa applications, got the money order, wrote out a check to the courier and FedEx'd everything to Washington, DC on Monday morning.  What arrived in the mail on Tuesday afternoon???  Yup, Sarah's passport (even though we applied for Analiese's one week earlier than Sarah's).
In a panic I telephoned the courier, who just happened to be running late that date, (thank you my guardian angel!) and asked if she could hold her package for Sarah's passport---she agreed that she would (thank you Carol!!!!!).  
In a rush I printed off another application, filled it out, grabbed the courier's address, a passport photo and drove like a crazy person to the mailing office.   The gentleman there was so AWESOME.  Some how, on the way to the store, I misplaced the mailing address (and had a major senior moment when I couldn't remember the name of the courier's business) but the gentleman was able to search his computer records (as I mailed the other package just the day before).  I also left the house with NO cash and handed him my credit card for the money order at which time he asked for cash-- I offered to run across the street to the bank and use the ATM but he told me "no" he would shift some money around and accept my credit card.
Miracles of miracles, our visa applications have been safely delivered to the Chinese Consulate and we should have them in our hands by Friday---all of us except for Analiese.  We'll have to pay the higher fee (double what it is now) for hers.
The good news is that Sarah's passport took less than 8 weeks to be processed.  Maybe things are looking up in that area.  Let's see how long it takes for Analiese's.  We also have not received Sarah's original birth certificate back.  For Analiese we had to give them her birth certificate, original certificate of citzenship AND her chinese passport.  I'm sure that is what has delayed hers.
In a nutshell, WE ARE READY TO GO TO CHINA!!!!!


1 comment:

Donna said...

Carol seems to be great! Glad you were able to get one more in before the increase.