Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Off To See the Surgeon

Tomorrow we go to see Dr. Williams, the surgeon who has performed both procedures to close Analiese's palate.  Unfortunately it doesn't look as though the small hole that has developed is going to repair itself. So tomorrow we will have to discuss our options.
Dave and I discussed what we want to see and of course we want full closure on the palate.  The orthodontic appliance that Analiese wore for a year helped with the nasal air flow but she really disliked wearing it.  
We just think it so important that we have a resolution prior to Analiese going into kindergarten (in 2008).  Right now, even though her speech is not clear, her peer relationships have not suffered.  However, as she gets older and her peers become more articulate there is a very real possibility that her peers will either become impatient with trying to understand her or even start to make fun of her.  I cannot bear the thought of our sweet Analiese having to go through that.
I must say, with each surgery we have had our successes.  The first surgery was able to implant some heathy tissue; this last one closed up one hole completely and the majority of the other.  We are taking baby steps but we are getting closer to complete closure!
On the other hand, this surgery saw Analiese regress emotionally.  She has not wanted me to be out of her sight.  She has yet to sleep a full week in her bed alone; she comes into our bed several times.  At the beach, one night last week, Dave took the kids to look for shells.  Not 20 minutes later he brought Analiese back, crying and sobbing that she wanted to be with me; she missed me. This past Monday when I went to drop her off at Princess camp, at the dance studio where she danced all last year AND was a regular visitor in her sisters' classes she cried hysterically.  She would not allow me to leave, nor would she allow me out of her sight.  The past two days she has allowed me to leave but runs to me immediately upon my return.
So I ask that you keep Analiese in your prayers.  We so want her to get through all of this with little or no lasting effects.  She deserves to be happy; we love her so much!

No comments: