Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Some more firsts



6th, 3rd and 1st grader

Our 3rd and 1st grader!

Our Sunday morning breakfast

On Monday Grace and Analiese started back to school. I just cannot believe that Grace is now a 3rd grader and my baby is in first grade. Both girls were very excited and had a great day! They both have GREAT teachers and I fully anticipate a great year!

Analiese has the same teacher that Matthew had last year. He flourished in her classroom and she was so patient with him. She'll have some challenges with Analiese but doesn't seemed concerned at all.

Analiese calls her teacher "Aunt Kelly" because last year Analiese was in class with Kelly's nephew. He, of course, called her Aunt Kelly and so did the rest of the kindergarten class. "Aunt Kelly" doesn't mind and actually thinks it might be a good thing because she is getting married in February so her last name is going to change anyway!

Grace is having a little difficulty transitioning in with her new classmates. The teacher I requested for her actually "looped" with her entire class. That means the entire class, with teacher, moved up a grade. Grace is one of 5 new kids that were placed in the class. Unfortunately for Grace that means that the kids already have had a year to establish relationships.

Grace is shy to begin with so it is difficult for her "break" into an already formed group of kids. I realized this was an issue this evening while I was reviewing her work for the day. She had completed a sheet, "getting to know you". Grace had to complete some statements. One was, "I wish I could...." and Grace wrote, "make friends."

When I questioned her, it was heart breaking. She said that "no one wants to play with me." I put her on my lap and probed some more (and all the while holding back my own tears). She said that during recess she justs, "walks around looking for her friends from last year."

I offered some suggestions and even asked if she wanted me to talk with her teacher. Grace responded that she didn't want me to say anything. Well, fate intervened when her teacher called (you know the obligatory beginning of the year call). I brought up what Grace said and wrote and asked for her input and help. The teacher had noticed and has offered to be more proactive in having the girls be more inclusive. I sure hope Grace finds her niche!

Sarah continues to enjoy middle school. During the past couple of days I've observed Sarah putting on make-up; mascara and lip gloss. I questioned her today and her answer was that "all the girls at school wear it". She immediately got defensive and said, "You don't want me to be DIFFERENT, do you???"

I told her that I just wanted to find out why she wanted to wear makeup and then I would decide if it was something she could continue to do. With a great big SIGH, she said, "it's not like I'm going to die if I wear it!"

Oh boy.....So, the wise mom that I am told her that "I" didn't really start wearing make-up until I was in the ninth grade.

My daughter, my first baby, exasperated says, "Yeah, that was before they had make-up in bottles. What did you have to do, squeeze cranberries to put on your lips?"

Yes, I am not kidding and no I did NOT make that up! I just cannot believe that my daughter actually thinks of me as OLD!!!

At that moment I realized that we had moved into a totally different arena and our relationship had shifted. We must officially be into the "tween years" and I'm not so sure I'm really ready.

I'm preparing myself for some battles. I sure hope they aren't close to what I put my Dad through.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give Gracie an extra hug from the Browns - I know just how she feels! As for Sarah - I'm a bit surprised that they allow makeup at her school, as they don't at our school that goes through 8th grade. I really had to laugh at the cranberry reference - oh, our kids think we're old! I remember when Aly was little, she actually thought my entire childhood was lived in black and white - literally - since tv shows from that era were in black and white! She thought colors in the world were a recent event ;-)
Nancy

oakleyses said...

tiffany and co, ugg boots, jordan shoes, jordan pas cher, polo ralph lauren, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin uk, air max, burberry pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, gucci handbags, tiffany jewelry, louboutin pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade outlet, uggs on sale, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike free, nike roshe, ugg boots, nike air max, sac longchamp pas cher, nike outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, christian louboutin shoes, replica watches, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses

oakleyses said...

north face outlet, hermes belt, gucci, reebok outlet, longchamp uk, iphone cases, ralph lauren, p90x workout, asics running shoes, soccer jerseys, chi flat iron, mont blanc pens, giuseppe zanotti outlet, converse outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, lancel, hollister clothing, bottega veneta, hollister, celine handbags, nfl jerseys, wedding dresses, timberland boots, nike air max, ferragamo shoes, nike air max, insanity workout, nike huaraches, vans outlet, new balance shoes, ghd hair, soccer shoes, oakley, abercrombie and fitch, mcm handbags, babyliss, baseball bats, north face outlet, lululemon, vans, hollister, beats by dre, valentino shoes, ray ban, instyler, louboutin, jimmy choo outlet, nike roshe run, nike trainers uk