Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day of Middle School

It's just nerves

Doesn't she look so grown up?

The traditional first day photo

Today was Sarah's first day of Middle School. Beginning last week she started to get nervous about going to a new school not knowing anyone. Her nerves really got worse at meet and greet. Sarah really was afraid she would get lost even though we walked to each of her classes and studied the map.

Yesterday was hard and last night was even worst. Sarah went to bed fairly early but had a difficult time falling asleep (Thank goodness for Benedryl). She did get a decent night's sleep and woke up fairly easily. Now, I can't say the same for me. I, also, had a hard time falling asleep and when I did I woke up several times. I had very strange dreams, most were about getting Sarah to school!

Sarah wanted me to take her to school as she didn't think Dave would be a help in getting her locker organized. I knew better; my 11 year old still wants her Mom to be there and "hold her hand". I'm glad that she wanted me, cause I wanted to be ther with her.

This morning Sarah and I both compared it to her first day of preschool. On that day she happily arrived at the school but when it was time for me to leave she grabbed a hold of me, started to cry and would not let me go! We laughingly said that she couldn't physically do that but she could do it in her head!

Well, when we got to school I could see how nervous Sarah really was. A teacher stopped to introduce himself and Sarah almost couldn't respond. When we finished with organizing her locker I walked with Sarah up to the front of the school so she could meet with ther "buddy". She did NOT want me to leave. She asked, "Please Mommy don't leave".

Let me tell you how quickly that phrase had me seeing the sweet 3 year-old that I took to Montessori all of those years ago! I would have liked nothing more than to stay with her but I knew that I had to walk away. It was so hard!!!!

I thought about Sarah all day long. When I finally spoke with her, after she got out of school, she was so excited! Sarah had a GREAT day!!!! Oh, how the weight was lifted off of my heart!!!

Sarah knows that tomorrow will be even less stressful than today was and that by the end of the week she will feel right at home! I am so grateful that she had a positive experience on her first day. Can you only imagine how hard it would be to get her to go back tomorrow if today was horrible????

I am so proud of Sarah and how she is able to go into new situations and come out with such a positive outlook. I know that this experience is so good for her and will serve her well in the future. However, it doesn't stop me from wanting to make things "all better" for her. Gosh, who knew that being a parent would be so hard???