Friday, June 5, 2009

Graduations and end of the school year

My sweet 1st grader!

Sarah enjoying the water balloon fight

The first group to complete all 6 years at our school!

What great strides Matthew has made! Notice the missing tooth!

You've made it Analiese!

Friends since Kindergarten!

The last safety patrol duty!

Finally, the kids finished the school year. We had a different school calendar this year due to some school construction last fall. When we voted, which seems like eons ago, it didn't seem so bad not getting out of school until June 5th. Well let me tell you, when the the rest of the surrounding communities end right before Memorial Day, June 5th feels like a lifetime away!

The week after Memorial Day, when all of the other schools where out, Sarah's dance studio had their dance recital practices (until 9:00) and then on Thursday night, the first recital. We did not get home from that recital until 11:00. Poor sweet Sarah had tests and final presentations she had to take care of. Needless to say, I had one tired child!

Then this week, Grace started her summer gymnastics schedule--5 days a week!!! I had to check her out early almost every day so she could participate with her team. I didn't want her to miss anything because tomorrow she has her first State level testing for her TOPS program. I'll post about that tomorrow.

Needless to say we celebrated today and will celebrate more when I finish on Tuesday, then summer can truly begin for us!

It's been so busy these past two days, AND very emotional. On Thursday we celebrated Analiese's graduation from kindergarten. I so cannot believe that my baby is now a 1st grader! Analiese has made tremendous growth this year in just about every area; except height and weight! She is reading, writing complete sentences and adding and subtracting. I so remember when kindergarten was about making friends, painting and having snack!

During the ceremony I was unable to get any good photos for a multitude of reasons. It certainly did not take away from the emotion of it all. At one point, when the kids were singing, and Analiese was so dramatic, all I could do was sob! I so kept thinking of my sweet baby living in the orphanage in Sichuan, China with no running water, heat or cooling. To see her singing, dancing and celebrating her completion of kindergarten filled my heart with emotion.

After that ceremony, I was able to celebrate Matthew's completion of 1st grade at his end-of-year party. It was wonderful celebrating his successes. We are so proud of him. He passed the state required test in all 3 areas; reading, language arts and math!!! To think, this young boy did not speak a word of english 18 months ago!

Then, yes, there is a then....I spent the rest of the afternoon with Sarah for her cookout. As a graduating fifth grader, they had a wonderful celebration. Part of the reason why they were given almost an entire day, prior to graduation, was that this class was the first class to have attended all six years at the school! It was bittersweet to watch those kids, who we welcomed as kindergarteners, enjoy their final days as elementary students.

I was able, after Sarah's AM graduation event, to attend Grace's end-of-the year party. It was fun for Grace, but I'll tell you, after two days of hot dogs and pizza I really wanted a huge salad! We took some photos of Grace and her friends, some of the girls have been together since kindergarten. And, having been through the experience of Sarah's graduation, I so wanted to just push pause for Grace and her friends. Before we know it, Grace will be finishing elementary school---ACK

Then of course there was Sarah's 5th grade graduation. How grown up my little girl looked! She was so beautiful and confident. We were so proud of her achievements. I was able to control my emotions, having teared up only a few times during the slide show. However, the dam burst when the classes did their "final walk" through the school. All of those children who Sarah had over for play dates, sleepovers and birthday parties were now leaving elementary school. Those babies were going on to middle school and it happened so quickly.

How did the time fly without me realizing it? How did my sweet little girl go from "Q the bride" to receiving the National Fitness Award???? When did all of those girls get so tall and grow womanly legs??? And how on earth did my first child go from kindergarten to 5th grade in a blink of an eye?????

Needless to say, I'm reflecting on so many things. I remember Sarah as a baby, Grace as a frightened, grieving toddler, and Analiese as a malnourished little girl. Today was a huge "AHA" day for me. I realize how fast my kids are growing up, changing and moving away from me. I want to celebrate and enjoy each and every moment because they don't last very long. Before I know it, Sarah will be in high school and Grace will be leaving elementary school.

I so want to slow our lives down and keep them as kids a little while longer. Does anyone know the secret to that?

4 comments:

Donna said...

I agree! They grow up way too fast. I am glad to hear I'm not the only sobbing momma in the bunch :)

oakleyses said...

tiffany and co, ugg boots, jordan shoes, jordan pas cher, polo ralph lauren, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin uk, air max, burberry pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, oakley sunglasses, gucci handbags, tiffany jewelry, louboutin pas cher, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, polo outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade outlet, uggs on sale, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike free, nike roshe, ugg boots, nike air max, sac longchamp pas cher, nike outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, christian louboutin shoes, replica watches, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, prada handbags, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses

oakleyses said...

north face outlet, hermes belt, gucci, reebok outlet, longchamp uk, iphone cases, ralph lauren, p90x workout, asics running shoes, soccer jerseys, chi flat iron, mont blanc pens, giuseppe zanotti outlet, converse outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, lancel, hollister clothing, bottega veneta, hollister, celine handbags, nfl jerseys, wedding dresses, timberland boots, nike air max, ferragamo shoes, nike air max, insanity workout, nike huaraches, vans outlet, new balance shoes, ghd hair, soccer shoes, oakley, abercrombie and fitch, mcm handbags, babyliss, baseball bats, north face outlet, lululemon, vans, hollister, beats by dre, valentino shoes, ray ban, instyler, louboutin, jimmy choo outlet, nike roshe run, nike trainers uk

oakleyses said...

moncler, canada goose, louis vuitton, doudoune moncler, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, toms shoes, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, canada goose, coach outlet, swarovski crystal, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose jackets, moncler uk, lancel, pandora uk, swarovski, moncler, moncler, pandora charms, moncler outlet, ugg pas cher, hollister, wedding dresses, canada goose outlet, links of london, canada goose, marc jacobs, thomas sabo, ugg uk, supra shoes, replica watches, moncler, louis vuitton, ugg, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, karen millen uk, montre pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora jewelry