Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Can we have a garden????

Those pesky weeds!

A few of our plants

Reporting for duty!

Sarah's little plot

Sarah's been asking for weeks now if she could plant a garden. I've never had any experience with gardens, even though I really wanted to learn as a kid growing up. I remember saving up box tops and money to order the "greenhouse" from the Captain Crunch cereal box. I was so excited when it finally came. I did EVERYTHING right and in no time at all I had little plants. But, that was as far as it went. No one had any interest or time to help me plant them outside. So, that was the end of my garden experience:(

Now Dave LOVES to garden and has great success (usually) getting things to bloom and grow. So, Sarah and I talked with him and Dave was excited to help out.

This weekend, Home Depot, for the beginning of Earth Week, had a sale, buy-one-get-one free on their vegetable/fruit plants and seeds. Unfortunately, by the time we got to the store, the plants were really picked over. Sarah did come away with some tomato, cucumber, melon and various pepper plants. We also got some sunflower, radish, and bean seeds.

Dave took all of the kids and involved them in turning over the soil, building up the area, planting the plants and protecting them with netting from our friends the deer. The kids had fun but the most interested one is Sarah. She has checked the plants everyday and asks if she needs to water them or do anything to make sure they continue to grow. I'm so pleased to see her interest.

I sure hope we get a crop of SOMETHING so Sarah has some success. It sure would be nice to have her go pick some tomatoes and cucumber for our dinner salad to go along with the blackberries that grow wild in our yard! I'll keep you posted on the success of the garden!

1 comment:

Holly said...

What a cute little garden!