Thursday, April 9, 2009

Zoo fun

Say cheese!

Happy Gracie

"Can I sit on him?"

So gentle

What a great planner Mom is!

All of my chicks in the nest, (including Bobert)!

All Aboard!

We had an ABSOLUTELY beautiful spring day today! The weather was warm, not a cloud in the sky and the wind was very slight. So, we went ahead with our plans to go to the zoo---as did EVERYONE else in Atlanta! I mean I expected a crowd but I did not expect what we encountered!

Today was the first that I drove to the zoo myself. It's a pretty easy drive but the traffic--where was everyone going at 10:30 on a Thursday morning????? When we finally got to the zoo, it was very apparent that we were not going to find a parking spot in the park.

One of the BIGGEST drawbacks to going to Zoo Atlanta is the lack of parking. It is just awful! Well, today every spot and I mean EVERY spot, both in the park and on the streets was taken. After I drove up, down and around the tiny streets looking for a spot to put my car I just threw up my hands, drove BACK into the park and parked my car on the grass next to a parking spot.

Go ahead, give me a ticket!

When we got to the entrance to the zoo, the line for tickets was long, how long you ask....I estimated about a 30 minute wait. When Sarah saw the line, she just groaned. Ah, what she didn't know was that Mom purchased a zoo membership on line the night before. Yes, yes, yes, to the members only line--no, not a line, but a person checking our tickets! That earned a "Super Mom" from my oldest daughter! (Me Beaming---you missed it!)

Once inside the zoo it was a ZOO because of all of the people. People with strollers, people with screaming children, people with no manners and just people! I decided that I was NOT going to stress out over the crowds and I did not! Sarah was in charge of the map and she directed us where to go. If we thought the line was too long we said, "we'll come back another day"!

When it was lunch time, we found a nice spot under a tree. Sarah and the kids automatically sat down on the ground. Oh but wait....Mom pulled out a NEAT SHEET (remember those blue things???) for all of us to sit on and stay clean. Oh boy, Sarah was so impressed she called me "Awesome Mom". (More beaming!).

After lunch we were able to go to the petting zoo--Matthew felt a sheep for the first time---and then we rode the train and the carousel. Unfortunately it was then time to head home. It really was a great day!

On the way to get the car, reality sunk in. I knew, just knew, I'd have a ticket on the windshield. I only hoped it wouldn't be too costly. Sure enough, walking through the parking lot, Sarah pointed out the police officer writing a ticket--to the car right behind where we were parked.

To our great surprise we did NOT have a ticket--YET!! All of us ran, yes ran to get into the car. I threw open the hatch and tryed to collapse the umbrella stroller. Only one problem, I didn't move my leg and the stroller was now collapsed AROUND my calf!!!

Oh, the policeman was walking toward me........I yanked the stroller off, threw it into the back of the van, jumped in and turned the car on. As I started to back up the policeman was right behind the van, placing the written ticket on the windshield of the car behind mine. He looked up but did not move out of the way.

That didn't deter me, I just backed up and pulled forward and off I went---ticketless and happy!

1 comment:

Kim said...

We thought about going yesterday too but wound up shopping for a new car instead. Less crowds, but we spent way more money than you 'cause I got a new ride!!!

Love the zoo membership. We bought ours the first month Sheridan was home and have used it extensively. Give us a call the next time you go and we will join you.