Sunday, September 7, 2008

Yikes, there's a "Mouse" in our house!!!!


Sarah practicing before her audition


Sarah auditioned for a part in the Atlanta Ballet's Production of the Nutcracker today. She was chosen to play one of the mice!!! We are all so excited and proud of her!

We talked about the possibility of auditioning a few weeks ago; Sarah was just not sure. Even though she has been dancing for 8 years she has only had formal ballet training for one year. I encouraged her to audition, if only for the experience. Sarah finally agreed after learning that her best friend from her dance company was also going to try out!

Sarah and I went with her friend, Isabel and her mother, to the audition. The girls (and moms, too!) were all excited and not knowing what to expect. Once we got there we moms filled out all of the paperwork and the girls seemed so relaxed; practicing their leaps! The AJC photographer took some photos of the girls so maybe they might be in the paper this week!

When they took the girls to the studio for the audition, we found out that the girls would be told if they had been selected and for what role before they returned to us. I cannot tell you how nervous that made me. I know that Sarah and I talked about the possibility she wouldn't be chosen and how she should look at the whole audition as a learning experience. But, I also know my daughter, she would be SO disappointed if she were not chosen but she would hold in her emotions until we were alone. I did not want to see a little girl trying to be brave come out of that audition!

The time finally came and the girls were headed toward us. Both Sarah and Isabel were holding papers, each wore smiles and Sarah was shaking!!! Sarah came over and said, "Mom, I'm a mouse!!!" I could not have been happier for her, nor prouder!

We have lots of rehearsals between now and December but are anxious for it all to begin. This experience is so wonderful for Sarah---she will be performing at the beautiful Fox Theatre in Atlanta! Sarah will most likely perform in at least 5 shows; I'll post the performance schedule when we receive it. I sure hope that some of you will come out and watch my little mouse perform!


HOLIDAY TRADITION AT THE FABULOUS FOX THEATRE
Nutcracker
December 5–28, 2008
Choreographed by John McFall
Magic can be hard to come by these days, but it is alive and well at the Fox Theatre this
holiday season. Presenting more than 250 of Atlanta’s young dancers, Atlanta Ballet’s
Nutcracker ushers in the season with an extravagant performance full of wonder and
surprises–dancing Snowflakes, mischievous Mice, and lively Nesting Dolls. Nutcracker is a
holiday treat, a story you grew up with, and one you’ll want to pass on to generations to
come–an Atlanta tradition for more than 40 years!

2 comments:

Shari U said...

YAY Sarah!! I saw some pictures in the AJC yesterday about auditions, but I don't think I saw Sarah. Congratulations to the little mouse!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Sarah. She will be the cutest little mouse. How exciting for your family.