Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Growing Pains

Matthew is having some real growing pains. His mastery of english is awesome but he is so lacking in the social mores that it is having quite an effect on his schooling.

He yells out in class during tests.
He yells at the teachers.
He tells it "like it is" (this is not fun)
He hasn't quite grasped that ALL adults must be listened to, not just Mom and Dad!

He was very sad today because his teacher had to come and speak to me. We have meeting set up for Friday morning. Dave, myself and his teachers will be there. Matthew must learn and follow expectations but he also must accept that we are his biggest supporters.

We've taken away his TV and computer time until the meeting. Matthew told me that he felt "bad". I responded that I also felt "bad" when his teacher had to come and talk to me about his behavior.

Lessons are hard to learn. Matthew has come so far but he has miles to go. Having a family is great but the responsibilities are overwhelming. It is hard for ALL of us but the benefits are immeasurable. Some day we will laugh at the early years.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, someday you will look back and laugh or at least thats what I hear. Hope you are doing well