Wednesday, April 9, 2008

And I thought we bypassed this stage!


Once again I'm surprised. Surprised that Matthew has entered a toddler phase. Surprised that after four months of no sleeping issues our son says his room is "squarey" and he wants to sleep with Mom and Dad. Actually it hit out of nowhere when, putting Matthew to bed after his brothers left, he cried that he had to sleep alone. He asked for James (who sleeps in his room when he is here) and then asked to sleep with me. Then I REALLY wasn't expecting the next night when Matthew got out of bed at 3:45 AM (!!!) to get into bed with me because his room was "squarey". After my initial confusion, I quickly decided that I had to deal with this situation in the same way I did with Grace and Analiese---take him back to bed and reassure him that all was fine! After many tears, three or four times back to my room, I finally got him to stay in his room!
The next day we had a talk and he admitted that his room isn't really "squarey" he wants to sleep with Mom and Dad! That didn't prevent him, last night, from crying and telling me how "squarey" he was and hiding under the covers! At least he didn't get up in the night!
Dave and I discussed this new event and agree that Matthew is going through a phase normally found at the toddler age. I really should have expected this, as both girls went through early stages that they missed. I just thought, at almost 7 years old, we wouldn't go so far back. So, what we are now doing is making sure Matthew gets lots of attention and reassurances through the day in hopes this will help him feel more secure at night. Hopefully we will get through this quickly. So, if any of you were thinking how lucky Dave and I were that we missed the "not sleeping through the night phase", we aren't!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This too shall pass. Hope it passes soon. THanks for your stories. Many of us are learning from you

Laura said...

Oh, poor guy! You all are amazing! I love reading how you deal with all the bumps along your road. Thank you for sharing! This will surely help others!

Special K said...

Oh man, I feel your pain. Hopefully he will become more secure and can let himself sleep again.