Thursday, March 6, 2008

Neither the time nor the day....



I just spent the day with a dear friend in the emergency room today. She called me at 6:15 in the morning, I KNEW something was wrong. And it was....her husband, her young (52 yrs.), healthy husband had a stroke. The ambulance was on its way to take him to the hospital. Once I got the kids to school I headed for the hospital. Once there I saw the fear, the sorrow and the devastation that had taken a hold of this family. No one saw this coming, the doctors had no answers and the family was grieving.
Here sat a man with two grown, wonderful young sons, a grandson, a wife who adores him and a full life. He was unable to move the left side of his body and had trouble speaking. He was so very vulnerable, so very emotional and so very humbled.
I spent lots of time alone, waiting for tests to be done, for phone calls to be made and for doctors to show up. I realized how precious life is and how important it is to not only take care of oneself, but to see a doctor and to stay as active as possible. In one instant, this family's life has changed. They had no warning, no signs. It just HAPPENED. Please, if you have not been to a doctor for a physical, for a check up, make an appointment. You owe it to yourself and to your family.
Each day we are given is a gift. We don't know when things will change, when our health might be threatened or even taken away. As the title says, we don't know the time nor the day when it will be OUR turn to take stock of our lives. I know that I hugged my children a little tighter this evening, said I love you before I hung up the telephone, and promised to schedule some check-ups. Won't you do the same?

1 comment:

Donna said...

Ok Ok I made that call to the dreaded gyn today. Thanks for the reminder.