Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Red Thread


AN INVISIBLE RED THREAD CONNECTS THOSE WHO ARE DESTINED TO MEET, REGARDLESS OF TIME, PLACE, OR CIRCUMSTANCE. THE THREAD MAY STRETCH OR TANGLE, BUT NEVER BREAK." ANCIENT CHINESE BELIEF

This statement is such a profound part of our lives. Both Dave and I wholeheartedly embrace the belief that our meeting was not a coincidence, that having Sarah and eventually traveling to China to bring home Grace, Analiese and finally Matthew has been part of God's plan for us. I know that the people in my life are there for a reason and that I must learn something from them. I believe that the people we've met along our adoption journey have enriched our lives and will always be a part of who we are.
Each of my children have taught me something. Sarah, with her innocence and loyalty, has taught me how to be a better friend. Grace, with her quite manner and beauty, has taught me to enjoy the silent times. Analiese, with her exuberance and personality, has taught me that it is possible to enjoy EVERY minute of your life. Finally, Matthew, with all of his challenges, is now teaching me how to be a better parent. Of course William, Thomas and James have taught me that I CAN love children that I did not give birth to!
It has taken me YEARS to get to a place where I've stopped trying to control everything that happens in my life. I've lost many years not enjoying the moments because it was not where I thought I should be. Now, I understand that I am where I am for a reason and to let go. I'm happier than I've ever been. I now hold on to that red thread and welcome each event and each person that is connected. Because you are reading this, you ARE a part of my red thread!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have yet to get to know you guys at First Fridays. You are such an encouragement to all but especially to some of us first timers.

THanks for this post and being a part of our red thread.

Anonymous said...

So happy to be a small stitch in that red thread material of your life.

Love always,

Nancy