Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My recession proof job is not so recession proof



Many of my co-workers lost their jobs today and others were reassigned. And only 9 million of the necessary 22 million dollars in cuts were decided. Next week the remainder of the cuts, 13 million dollars, will be decided.

I realize that this is happening, and has happened, all over the country. However, I never thought this would happen in my career field. I work in education and have always said that I may not make a lot of money doing what I do, but I will ALWAYS have a job. Not anymore.

All first and second year teachers will not get a contract for next year, our nursing staff is being reduced, our attendance clerks are being let go, some administrators are being forced to return to the classroom and all middle school athletic programs are being eliminated. And everyone is being furloughed 10 days. That's just the short list

Next week the board will have to consider whether they will eliminate the local supplement to our salaries. If they decide to do that it will save the district over 10 million dollars. However, it will be disastrous for some of our teachers.

Our school district is the largest employer in the county. Many of our teachers' spouses also work in the school system. If the supplement is taken away these families will lose about 20 thousand dollars a year.

Right now so many of us, if not all of us, are feeling shock and disbelief. None of us, not a one, got into education for the money. We all were called to this profession because of our love for children.

A profession of individuals who have struggled for respect will now struggle to survive. What ARE the country's priorities?

No comments: