Monday, July 13, 2009

Even the dog....

Anyone who knows me can tell you that I LOVE animals. I would have gone to school to be a vet if I could have had a practice for well visits only! Oh, and if I was better at math and science...!!!

Growing up, my first dog was Chesley. I don't remember him but have seen photos. After him I know that we had some cats and then we had Curly-- a Heinz 57 mutt! He was the BEST dog ever! He used to walk me to school and sometimes he waited for school to end and then he'd walk me home. He always went the corner store with me and waited outside. The best thing he did was go to the Good Humor Man (remember the Ice-cream trucks???) and get a dixie cup for himself. Whoever gave out the ice-cream knew that we were not far behind with the .25 and if we weren't he always told us on the next visit that he gave Curly some ice-cream and we paid for it! What a great companion he was and I'm sure part of my foundation for loving dogs!

When I moved out as an adult I got my first pets; Lhasa Apsos--Mogwai and Magnum (yes after Tom Selleck!). They eventually had a few litters and I kept one of their pups; Samantha! I loved them and treated them like children. They moved with me everywhere--even to Germany! It was hard letting each of them go and when the final one went on I was very reluctant to get anymore pets.

But, then we got Duchess our sweet cat, even though I was NOT a cat person. Cats are different from dogs but still wonderful companions, just a lot more independent. I love my cats!

Why am I telling you this? Because when we were in St. Louis, The Browns have a WONDERFUL Heinz 57 dog! Her name is Hillary. She is certainly too big to be a lap dog (sheep dog, irish wolfhound, and standard poodle) but someone forgot to tell her! I so fell in love with her!

When we first arrived at the Browns, Nancy told us, "I'm going to let HIllary out, DON'T make eye contact". Well, out galloped Hillary and we just couldn't help but look at her. Big mistake! She jumped on us, tried to lick us and overall all tried to be our friend!

Well, I certainly became her friend and from the following photos and Nancy's comments, she became mine. Seems that Hillary has been mourning my leaving. What a sweet, sweet dog! I sure wish I could send hugs over the internet to make her feel better.

Hillary before our visit

Hillary after we left!

See, just one more reason that we should live closer to the Browns!

Oh, and thank goodness Nancy took a photo of our chinese princesses! There is Grace and Kira, adopted at the same time and Maya and Analiese adopted two years later, at the same time. The girls are just the bestest of friends. Where is Sarah and Connor you ask? Playing Wii of course!

Best Friends

<

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even now, as Hillary naps on our couch(forbidden), she's dreaming of Tina. Her paws keep running as she believes she's chasing her teddy bear that Tina keeps throwing.

Hope you miss us, too! We miss you, and thanks for giving Hillary her own blog :-))

Hillary, Nancy, and the Browns