Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Preparing for Santa

Making cookies for Santa

I can't wait to see what I got!

What can it be?


Oh look, Jammies!

Oh, what a surprise, jammies for me!


Our first gift of Christmas

Making Gram's Cake

A cup of butter

Sift the flour


Cookies and Milk

Oh what a wonderful Christmas Eve! We started with baking and decorating cookies; only the best will be put out for Santa. Then Sarah, Grace and I went to the church to see the children's pageant--always a treat. After dinner Grace, Matthew and Analiese went out and spread the reindeer food on the lawn. Sure hope there's enough for ALL of the reindeer!

Sarah, Grace and I baked a cake that my Gram used to make every year. It was the BEST cake in the world! I finally thought to ask my mom for the recipe and she sent it. So, the girls and I followed the recipe to a T and I hope that it tastes as good as what I remember. Thanks Gram, I sure miss you!

The kids got to open their one gift---of course new pajamas! It's a tradition that the kids get to open one gift on Christmas Eve. When Sarah was very little it was a special gift from me to her--jewelry or a keepsake. When Grace came along it continued to be a special gift, maybe an ornament for the tree. But since Analiese came home, it's been special pajamas. It's funny, the kids still get really excited to open that first gift!

We called NORAD and Analiese (YEAH!) got to ask where Santa was. She forgot by the time she hung up the phone but boy did she smile from ear-to-ear when she heard the news!

Bedtime finally arrived and the kids chose the BEST cookies for Santa and filled up his milk glass. They are trying hard to beat that 9:00 PM deadline he gave them when we road the Polar Express last week. Matthew, of course, went right to sleep. Grace and Analiese are just too excited. I sure hope they get to bed soon...

Oh, on a silly side note, I bought a "catnip gumball" to put in the cats' stocking. I had it in a bag, in ANOTHER separate bag, in my closet with other gifts. Those silly cats chewed through the bags and stole that gum ball! I had to go back to PETSMART and replace that gift. They were out of "catnip gumballs" but did have some "catnip Mice". I'm alittle afraid to put them in their stockings for fear of what I'll find in the morning. Even the silly cats can't wait for Santa to get here.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Oh what fun! Merry Christmas to a very special family!!